AdobeStock 135706701

The Quest for new Therapies

Radiotherapy today is an important therapeutic tool for the treatment of different kinds of cancer. It is estimated that about two-thirds of all cancer patients will receive Radiotherapy as unique treatment or as a part of the more complex therapeutic protocol.

It took many decades of research and development to reach this stage.

Correspondingly, it took chemotherapy from 1940 to 1980, to become a standard therapy alongside surgery and radiation. Cancer treatment methods have improved over time. Nowadays (2017) 5-year survival is around 65% for all cancers combined. This means that among people with cancer, the likelihood of not surviving five years after diagnosis was 35% of the expectancy for the overall population. We are all part of the quest for new therapies in oncology. 

Cancer therapy has been improved over time based on better understanding of the science behind cancer allowing stratification of clinical approaches and therapeutic objectives.

The most common types of cancer treatments applied today consist of surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy.

More recent treatments are angiogenesis inhibitor therapy, biological therapies, bone marrow and peripheral blood stem cell transplantation, laser therapy, photodynamic therapy and targeted cancer therapies.

Thermotherapy is demonstrating positive clinical results in treatments combined with Radiotherapy.

AdobeStock 135706701
mild heating sensius
42 degrees Centigrade leads to optimal conditions for tumor repair inhibition and immune response.

Mild heat treatment

As with the development of most cancer treatments, clinical application of hyperthermia has seen its ups and downs.

Meanwhile, over the years, biological evidence has accumulated steadily. Nowadays, thermotherapy, administered in combination with a primary (radiation, chemo or immune) therapy, continues to show clinical benefits in randomized clinical trials for a number of tumor types with minimal side effects.

mild heating sensius
42 degrees Centigrade leads to optimal conditions for tumor repair inhibition and immune response.

How does it work

The mechanisms of action consist of a plethora of microscopic and macroscopic enhancements of the primary therapies. Therefore, it’s no surprise that randomised clinical trials are demonstrating better results with the same side-effects.

Read more
How does it work